I wrote all this yesterday as I completely let my heart flow as I look back on the last few months and all that God has done:
“April 30th, what I’m believing will be a day of START, of SHIFTING, of SWEETNESS. Yesterday, I made a choice, a hard one, the road less traveled. I had BIG goals and dreams for Rock N Roll Nashville, what would have been my fourth full marathon, a chance at a BQ for 2018, a chance to cross a third state off. NONE of that happened.
Instead, it looked like a shattered phone, cramping at mile two, headache around mile six, and a VERY hard choice to drop to the half officially at mile nine/ten. I still finished in 1:50 which, considering the heat advisory was satisfying, and I honestly thought Rock N Roll handled it as best they could. Salt packets, water stations, and items to help runners cool down every mile and a half.
And the course and crowd support was great! You went through some beautiful neighborhoods with constant cheering, the downtown area full of life, and historic scenes of Nashville. I tried to make the most of 13.1 miles and have no regrets, PLUS I was running for an incredible organization in St Jude’s and that alone is worthwhile!
BUT A month ago I wouldn’t have made that choice. No, a month ago I would have pushed my body further than it functionally could have gone. I was in an unhealthy mental and physical state when it came to the rigidity in my running, and I didn’t fully see the danger in my weight and how all of it combined was affecting every aspect of me.
It had to be surrendered, there had to be teary moments and sometimes hours. there had to be immediate food changes with super accountability. And above all else God had to work to shift my perspective mentally, spiritually, and emotionally on running. I had to realize that marathons and the way I was viewing them & structuring life around them was NOT important in lieu of eternity.
Let me back up for a moment though. I love running, and Lord will I will train for another full marathon, it’s just all about your perspective and priorities. I fully believe God has given me an opportunity and passion to be a light and encouragement in this community, but it means I need a healthy God-centered view point on it as well or the impact is diminished.
So a month later at mile 4 I knew marathon #4 shouldn’t happen, but it became a matter of which mentality would takeover, and the Lord in his faithfulness as a healer and perfecter allowed very little conflict when making the choice, and while I had several miles to contemplate the decision, it wasn’t much of a battle when the marathon and half marathon split happened and I definitely wasn’t alone.
And then the rest of the day happened and it was teary, not because I made a hard choice, but because seeing how much the Lord has broken down and healed over the past month just leaves me in awe of His love, grace, and faithfulness for His children.
But it’s not over.
Mentally there will still be battles, but I’m now more aware of them and confident I can make better decisions. And then there is nutrition and a ways to go, but I;m believe God will continue to work in what Hes already started, it’s hard work but it means MORE for the future.
So it’s time for a new season, new job, new schedule, healthier nutrition decisions, and all around a new healthier perspective. I’m excited to see all God’s going to do! “
So that all might look nice, but you might be going yeah well practically/tangibly what is next.
- Career : Big Peach Running Co, my new job adventure – getting to work inside the community that I love. Along with some other side projects 🙂
- Nutrition : A nutrition seminar this weekend on proper and healthy fueling and view on eating as an endurance athlete, along with the Big Peach nutritionist in a couple weeks.
- Running : A break, I’m taking it easy for the month of May, I’ve set a tangible limit of no more than an hour of running which is somewhere in the ballpark 6-7 miles.
- Racing : I’m doing a fun mother’s day 5K with mom next Saturday, then the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th. The Disneyland Half in September will be my next endurance race.
- Fundracing : I am doing a short fundracer for my birthday benefiting Sophie & Madigans Playground (Fundraising Link Here) at the Wine & Dine 10K. Trying to raise $600 in 2 weeks, and I’m giving 10 cents to every dollar no limit. My big fundracer will be in honor of my grandfather and a celebration of his birthday again for Princess Weekend benefitting Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (Fundraising Link Here).
- Community : I have several ladies interested in running groups but the calendar is always tricky to line up, stay tuned for more info trying to coordinate on this front!
So there’s that. As always email me with any questions on fitness or nutrition and I’ll respond ASAP!
Have a great week,